Try it. You might like it.

Sometimes it amazes me how so many people in the world judge a particular food without even trying it first. I'll admit, I have been guilty a time or two because some things just don't look appetizing. (As a kid, I wouldn't eat biscuits and gravy or fried chicken because of the textures.) Still, I'm usually the first to try a new spice or a unique dish if I have the opportunity. I also try to teach the same thing to my kids.

Today, they got introduced to a simple thing from my childhood just because we saw SPAM at the store and they told me they didn't know what it was. (They are products of the digital age and seriously thought it was a made up thing to describe Internet junk mail.).

So, we bought a can and brought it home. I sliced it and pan fried a few pieces while I put some Miracle Whip on bread. A couple of slices of SPAM on each piece of bread and they got to give it a go. They both loved it. The youngest even came back for seconds and asked to have a third sandwich to go with her dinner tonight.

The point is this. There are a lot of things out there that are unusual, unknown or just plain odd but, if you are willing to take the chance, you often find something you really enjoy. This is especially true when it comes to food. Different preparation and cooking methods, seasonings, freshness and quality of the ingredients, even the cook, can affect the way food tastes and smells as well as the texture. The same dish made by one individual can be totally different from another cooks work. Always be willing to try things and you may find there are amazing foods that you never thought you liked.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grilling Up Pork & Chicken Tonight

Cinnamon Carmel Goodies