Cinnamon Carmel Goodies

Monday was kind of a lazy day for me this week but I did do some cooking. Then, I went out to share my creations with some friends around town. This time, I chose desserts and what started out as simple cinnamon rolls evolved into some other wonderful treats.

For the first cook, I made cinnamon rolls using Paula Deen's recipe FIND IT HERE. I omitted the nuts from the recipe, added a splash of vanilla flavoring, some nutmeg and some allspice. I also made a different glaze because I couldn't find my powdered sugar. (I found it later. It had fallen behind some other stuff in the freezer.)

Yummy goodness! Fresh and Hot!
Cinnamon roll with
 cinnamon carmel glaze
For the glaze, I made a cinnamon carmel glaze. I used:


  • 1 cup of milk (heated but not boiling)
  • 3 cups of brown sugar
  • 1 cup of white sugar
  • a splash of vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • corn starch to thicken
Mix this all together and thicken until its the consistency of a gravy. Then, set it aside to cool a bit and spoon it onto the cinnamon rolls right before serving.

Cinnamon and carmel combine to create a fabulous dessert
Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread
I had some leftover dough so I made a crossover between cinnamon rolls and monkey bread. First, we drizzled some of the cinnamon carmel glaze on the bottom of a greased baking pan. Then, Lucille helped me by pulling off walnut size chunks of dough and flattening them for me. I then topped them with a cinnamon and sugar mix and rolled them tightly before putting them on end in the baking pan. We repeated the process until the pan was tightly filled with mini cinnamon rolls. Then, I brushed them with butter and drizzled some more of the glaze over the top. After that, I baked them for about 20 minutes until the tops had a golden brown. Pour a bit more glaze over the top and let it soak in to the dessert for a moist, delicious treat,

Almost like a bear claw danish
Cinnamon carmel pastry
notice the carmel rock candy in the pan.
That used up most of the dough but we still had on small piece left. It had been worked and flattened multiple times so it was more of a pastry dough at this point. It flattened out to the size of a dinner plate so I brushed melted butter on it, covered it with cinnamon sugar mix and poured some of the leftover glaze into it before rolling it up. Then, I spooned more of the glaze over the top and let it run down into the baking dish. As it baked, the glaze on the pan formed a crunchy carmel flavored rock candy that paired nicely with the soft pastry. I wish I had thought to put some slivered almonds on this one because the taste and texture was very similar to a bear claw danish.

All in all, it was a very sweet day. I took the Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread to town and shared it with my friends at work and a few of our regular customers. I should have snapped pictures of peoples reactions to this sweet treat but didn't think of it at the time. Let's just say it was well received and a few people even grabbed some extra for later.

Keep it sweet and keep cooking with The Thrill Grill!

Larry Ray

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grilling Up Pork & Chicken Tonight

Try it. You might like it.